So close

The loss of a good fish always hurts, and coupled with a lack of sleep from chasing tides over the last two nights, I'm in a right proper hump. Four good runs, connected with two and landed one - I suppose about an average return. However, my problem is I'm fishing very close to a snag and the bass are behaving exactly like chub and know where to run.

The lost one played with the bait for a while, its bite feeling very much like a very young schoolie - almost pollack like. Then bang, it went on its run forcing the rod into a lovely curve as the bass kept deep and strong. I thought I had kept it away from the snag, but something didn't feel right as it continued to fight deep. A couple of minutes followed the initial runs and the bass was starting to tire, and just as I was getting myself ready to land it, the rod went lifeless in my hand. 

It's why we do it, but the feeling of complete loss when you lose a good-un is so hard to take. The line on inspection had scraped along the snag until it parted, and I could feel the abrasion along the remaining hook link. I've been back managing to hook and land its smaller cousin around 3lb, and I'm planning to go again early tomorrow morning. 

I'm determined to find a way to increase my success at this spot as they are there, and its not very often you can say that in my neck of the woods!

Comments

Most bites...