Smash and Grab - Part 2

After the missed bites from the previous night I couldn't wait to get back out again, especially as I was starting to have doubts over the new rigs efficiency. After a bit of overnight thinking-time I had a new idea that I was eager to try out.

Arrived with the wind a lot stronger than expected, and the weed if anything worse than last night but it didn't take me long for my mackerel to be gently lobbed-out to explore the margins. At around 9.00 (high tide 10pm) I had a cracking take, but again failed to connect. This state of affairs continued for the next 2 hours and I must have missed 4 bites until I finally managed to land a bass. Not a great fight and it was soon landed and measured at just over 20". Very thin, so I don't expect it went much over 3lb.


The hook-up was interesting and it shows why the smaller bass are unable to take the whole bait and run, which is why I've missed so many over the last 2 nights. This all points to potentially being a big fish only method, which is ok, but I still enjoy battling with bass around the 3lb mark. Plus, how big do the bass need to be for this rig to work effectively -  4lb+, 5lb+ ?

So, its either back to the drawing board, or just keep using it hoping that it does work when the big girls make a reappearance.

Now that's given me a bit of a dilemma.

Comments

Most bites...