You should've been here yesterday

'Mackerel are everywhere,' and 'it was just like Chesil down there'. Well not when I go. Despite my efforts over the years I always seem to miss the main mackerel shoals, with, 'you should have been here yesterday' being the common theme. So far, this year hasn't been any different. However, I have managed 3 trips with 5 mackerel to show for my efforts, but looking out the window it doesn't look like I will be adding to my tally today, as a strong gusting wind that refuses to settle, will disrupt any chance of mackerel shoals forming.

As we know a good fresh bait after location is essential for giving you the best chance, especially later in the year after a summer of plenty. Over the last few years mackerel have been really hard to find, so we've been using some rather dubious frozen mackerel that once defrosted almost disintegrate on the hook. Interestingly, I've read that depending on what the mackerel have been feeding on will affect the quality of the flesh? Could explain a few things maybe?

I'm hoping next weeks weather will help to concentrate the shoals again, and maybe I will get lucky and bag a few. I do hope so.





Comments

Most bites...