A wonderful memory

The alarm sounded and I so nearly changed my mind. I just couldn't sleep last night and must have dropped off about 30 minutes before the alarm went. I laid there for a while - it really was 50/50. Unusually I had to grab the various bits and pieces required as I hadn't prepared the night before, but I was soon off in the dark towards my chosen spot.

Once again it was a one rod set-up and a large piece of mackerel fishing the incoming tide. The last time I was here with Richard, it was very warm and without a hint of action, but this morning held a bit more promise as the spring tides were building towards Sunday and Monday.

At 8am exactly a heavy bang on the rod woke me from my daydream stupor, in fact it had me on the edge of my chair as the bang felt very substantial. Two to three minutes must have passed, and I was starting to think that maybe my bait had been removed, when I could feel the line starting to show signs of life. I followed with my rod, until the bass took matters into its own hands, and ripped off.

What a fight, often large bass will make a couple of heavy runs and then allow you to bring it ashore - but not this one, as it gave me one of my best ever fights. Even when using the waves to bring it ashore it kept going, and by this time I was becoming a bit of a nervous wreck.  I could see it was another really good fish, and once landed I stood for a moment in awe, she was a magnificent specimen that gave every impression she may make the magic 10lb weight.

My hands were shaking as I measured from the fork of the tail to the snout, I needed 29" but she came in at 28". Just for a split moment I was disappointed, before taking the obligatory picture and returning her to the sea. What a cracking fish and one that will stay in my memory for an awfully long time.

Comments

Most bites...