Reminiscence of a fool... Part 8

My son Thomas, hasn't inherited the desire to fish, although when he was younger I did try...


You can’t win them all

October 8, 2012

‘I’m sure that was a knock on the rod,’

We were packing up, and as usual I left one rod out leaning against a chair that earlier had been supporting me for over 5 hours without a touch. Thomas, who wasn’t keen on joining me and was even more keen to leave, barely gave my comment a second thought, but again from the corner of my eye I was sure I saw it move.

‘I’m convinced I saw it knock again,’

This time Thomas looked up, probably due to the tone in my voice as I decided to pick up the rod and check to see what was happening. Within seconds I had a slight tap on the rod that every bass angler knows. It's difficult to explain to the un-initiated as every fish has it's own signature, but this was definitely a bass. Holding the rod, I knew what should happen next, and sure enough the tap became a lunge, followed by a series of lunges - followed by my lightly held rod.

Now, it is not unusual for me to only ‘hit’ about 1 in 5 perfect bass bites, and considering this was my first take of the year, it was with some trepidation that I lifted into the bite... fish on! I could hardly believe it.

‘Have you got one Dad?’

Thomas was now by my side as the bass took a vicious run immediately to my right, but the clutch felt too tight against the strain, so I quickly followed along the shore until I was able to make the slight adjustment required. Now, listening to the clutch sing as she headed out to sea was like music to my ears, but at the same time despite knowing there were no snags for me to worry about, I was worried. Stopping her again, she vented her frustration by turning the sea into a mini boiling cauldron before heading out once more.

This was one of the best fights I've had from the sea, but eventually I was able to bring the bass in where I quickly picked her up from under the gills and carried her to my gear. I was shaking like a leaf as we quickly weighed her before taking a picture. Despite juggling the scales, I couldn’t quite make it read 7lb so we settled on 6lb 15oz. Carefully we carried her back, and watched her swim off strongly.

It was now me who was the kid as I caught myself jabbering away to anyone who would listen. But Thomas was cool, allowing me to calm down, before giving me a man-hug and then shaking my hand! Talk about role reversal.

On the way back I enquired if he would like to join me again, but was politely told,

‘Please don’t take any offence, I’ve had a great time today, but no thank you.’

Oh well, you can’t win them all.





Comments

Most bites...