A quick trip walking the dog

After watching seagull activity in the solent for a few days I opted for a bit of mackerel fishing Saturday morning. To be honest I wasn't holding out much hope as I drove along parallel to the shore looking for signs, as once again this has been a dreadful year for mackerel. With no sightings after a while I started to think that maybe I have missed my chance.

Almost giving up hope I located some working seagulls, and even though they were way beyond my casting range I was just glad I found them! However, it soon became obvious the gulls were working on fry being chased by young bass as I could see them almost launching themselves out of the water in their eagerness.

Now for far too many years than I care to remember, I have dabbled with fishing with lures for bass and despite many hours trying, many hours of reading about the techniques involved, it has all come to absolutely nothing - not even a follow. But it still didn't stop me trying out various lures in a hope of a schoolie, and to cut a long story short I ended up with a follow from 2 bass and an aborted take.

I couldn't believe it, and was itching to get out again. The next trip coincided with a change in the weather so it was no surprise that nothing was happening.  But remembering all the action started an hour before high I stayed on. Unbelievably fry and gulls appeared right on time, and after a bit of experimenting I eventually hooked into a small bass using a light coloured dexter-type lure. Happy days! 

Unfortunately as the tide increased so did the weed, which affected the lures action, so almost out of desperation I tried a surface lure. The wind had now really picked up, but with small bass chasing fry almost at my feet I had to give it a go. Five minutes later with fry still jumping around the lure it was smashed by an angry bass that punched way above it weight.

The bass of around 1.5lb was quickly released, and I was back out again with new found confidence from suddenly realising I was in the right place, at the right time, with the right method. Roughly 15 minutes later as I was trying my best to work the lure in between the waves, I watched open mouthed as a bass tried 3 times to take the lure. Expecting it to be small I got a shock when we eventually made acquaintance, as it tore off, taking line briefly from the reel.

The waves helped the fight, but it was soon beached, unhooked and released. What a morning, and I couldn't have been any happier driving home. I can now see why this is so addictive and can't wait to get back out again. 

Here is a picture of the lure that did the damage courtesy of Henry Gilbey's Bass Blog.






Comments

Most bites...