Just around the corner

Way too early, rubbish tide and it wouldn't stop raining but it didn't matter as I was going to go fishing. The forecast said the rain would stop at 4, and they were right. So I was off like a shot just in case it should change its mind. This year I'm hoping to do a lot more trips with the lure rod, with the plan to have it made up in the car for whenever an opportunity arises.

I'm also planning to try lure fishing after dark, so with that in mind, todays trip was all about experimenting with a 5" white senko. During the morning I had already set the rod up weedless style but decided to add a small lead cone to aid casting, and was soon casting and working along the almost mirror flat shore line. Trying out different rod positions definitely altered the worms depth and action slightly, but it didn't give me that feeling when you see a lure working really well. So I sat down using the beach slope as a back rest and watched the tide slowly creep in.

The soft action of the waves and its gentle sound was almost mesmerising, and when the rain gently pit-patted on my waterproofs I could've almost fallen asleep. Resisting the urge, I got up and made a few casts in an area that last summer occasionally held a few bass if you were lucky to be there when everything was right. As expected nothing was home, so I was about to make my way back when I thought about trying a few casts without the lead cone.

Wow, what a difference that makes, surprisingly I was able to cast the same distance (about 30yds) but it was the new found action, or maybe best described as lack of action, that was the biggest difference. It would land as gentle as small pebble and then just hang, slowly descending in a horizontal position until a movement of the rod brought it towards the shore. For the second time that day I was memorised as I experimented with different retrieves to see how the worm reacted. As I was walking back to the car I felt like I had found a method that could really work when the bass return, and hopefully that's now just around the corner.

Comments

Most bites...