What a way to test out a new rod and lure

I've recently taken delivery of a new cheap HTO lure rod to make the work of using SPs a lot more efficient and with the hope I can gain an extra yard or two. So this morning I fished the harbour two hours before high in conditions that were just about perfect for testing. No wind, overcast and just a hint of rain in the air.

Initial impressions of the rod were not great if I'm honest as I felt I wasn't getting any extra distance, but being so light it was an absolute joy to use. On this mark, as the tide rises you often see the bass and mullet move in, but not today, and to be honest being so early in the year I wasn't really expecting to.

Around high tide I was still trying out various SPs to see how they work with the new set-up, when first cast with a Zoom Speed worm I felt a heavy thud just as I was about to start my retrieve. Immediately behind my lure there was a large breach in the water, bugger. Annoyed, but thinking this is a great sign I suddenly realised my line was running from right to left - so quickly wound down to connect with a bass who clearly wanted this lure. Lady luck was really with me today.

It was a great fight on the new rod, but each time I went to beach her she found a new lease of life and seemed to be growing in size before my very eyes! I was so happy to finally land it and at 25" to the fork it's my lure caught PB bass at around 6.5lb. (although I wished I'd weighed her as she was a real chunky bugger)

Happy days!

Comments

Most bites...