I should have been happy... but

A bit of a generalisation I appreciate, but there tends to be two types of anglers, one who just wants to catch all the time regardless of their size while the other is willing to set out his stall for a larger one. Well, that is exactly how my two brother in laws are - except at the moment, Bass Man Rob is catching all the time and they are all huge.

Just had to get out last night following the previous days storm on what were nigh on perfect conditions. The sea still had a hint of anger, dark and cloudy, and the weed was surprisingly absent. The plan was to fish a spot that fished well following a similar spell of weather in July two years ago. My plan was to use a roving approach of fish for 10 minutes, then move along 20 yards and repeat. Could it happen again?

Short answer, yes it could have done. Ended up with 2 bass, 19" and 20" respectively, and missed around 8 runs which I failed to connect with, due I hope, to using baits that they were too big for schoolies. Except for one. Normally at this spot a bass will run with the bait from right to left, but this one decided to go in the opposite direction, and slightly towards me as well. Winding frantically, I eventually caught up and felt it's weight for a split second before it came adrift. I jumped up and down like a school boy in exasperation.


High had passed and so had the action, so I thought I would text Rob who was also fishing on the Island. I was feeling pretty happy with my results, and although not the size I would have liked it was nice to get some action following my recent run of blanks. My feelings changed somewhat when I saw this picture from Rob. What an amazing fish, 28" and around 9lb - stunning.


Footnote, just had an update with all the details from Rob this morning. Last night he failed to mention he also caught another bass of around 6lb... I'm definitely moving to the Island.

Comments

Most bites...