A fire at one end and a fool at the other

Whilst pondering my recent set of blanks and licking my wounds I've been casting back through my year and starting to plan for next. Overall, it's been a good one for me, and a combination of fishing more times this year to get past being in the wrong place at the wrong time, has helped.

However, it did feel there's been more 'wrong times' this year when they just didn't appear to be around. Maybe due to a funny year weather wise, and recent dredging work that has increased current strength by around a few knots in some places, must have had an effect on their feeding habits. As apart from the occasional flurry of schoolies, the bigger girls never made any regular appearances.

So plans for next year? There is a local carp water that used to hold fish up to 40lbs, but unfortunately despite being run by a club, it hasn't been looked after very well and over time has almost become a public water where anyone can fish. Coupled with a water management policy that suggests its being used as a stock pond for other more private club waters, doesn't help.

But I spent a lot of my youth there, and it has many happy memories for me held deep within its banks. So my plan is to fish it during those leaner times, a few hours in the morning and evenings, stalking along the edges with just one rod, net and a bag. (still yet to join this club)

But, if the bass are about that fire will continue to ignite this fool to be out by the sea, quietly listening to the waves and the sounds, patiently waiting for the line to be drawn slowly across the finger...

Comments

Most bites...