Wish I had stayed on... but it was great to catch up

For those who know me this won't come as much of a surprise, but I don't have may true friends - however, not being able to see them has been a real wrench. So, after the last few nights of hot and humid weather I thought it would be a great to combine sitting on the beach with a rod, and have a social distance chat with my mate Graham.

Well for the first hour the fishing went out of the window, as the weed over low was unfishable. So I propped the rod up against the groyne, hoped the weed would move on as the tide progressed, and continued to catch up with my buddy.

Later on, I tried again by keeping as much line out of the water as possible to avoid the weed, and it didn't take long before the squid bait attracted some interest. I turned to Graham, who was stood beside me, and was just about to say 'I've got a bite' when the reel went into meltdown. I followed the bite with the rod, but as soon as I went to disengaged the freespool it stopped! 

Cursing my luck, I turned to Graham to explain, when the bass took matters into its own hand and ripped off towards the IOW, creating a flurry of white water on its way. After this initial burst of energy it was then a case of pumping a bass of around 4lb to shore, photo and a quick release. 


After a few social distancing man-hugs Graham left to leave me fishing the tide up. Conditions were amazing (but not ideal for bass) and after another 1.5hrs I had a smaller bass of around 2lb. I wanted to stay on, but tiredness and work in the morning got the better of me, which was a pity as I'm sure there were a few more to be had on this tide.

Comments

Most bites...