It makes it worse when it's your fault.

After all these years, fishing can, and will bring you down with a bump. Actually it was more of an almighty crash as most of it was my fault. I was out yesterday fishing the tide up using my usual big bait, 3oz running leger and fishing close. Ironically I was on a local forum the very same day saying I only free line when fishing dead low with little wind and no weed. So why didn't I do that?

I can only assume it was because I wasn't expecting the conditions to be so good, so my mind was already set (just like my rod - all made up ready to go), or I'm just incredibly daft. An hour in and I receive a run that all bass fisherman dream of, no drama, bait picked up and a leisurely run out to sea. After allowing around 10 yards of line to leave the reel, I prepare to set the hook and the run stops. Maybe it was a schoolie after all, but no off it trundles again taking another 5 yards or so. This time I meet resistance, but soon realise the bass has taken the bait and ran parallel to the shore line, creating an angle of 90 degrees from the position of my line entering the water to the lead.

I felt the weight of the fish, and due to the shallow depth of water saw the fish on the surface long enough to say, 'that's a proper one!' when the bass took advantage of the momentary lack of contact and spat the hook. I was absolutely dejected with the feeling only we know after immediately losing a good fish. And the feeling continued to get worse as I went through all my errors, and this is the one that really hurts - I was using a hook that I should have changed two trips ago.

Ten minutes later of grunting and grinding my teeth I could hear walking on the shingle to my left. I looked across to find someone setting up next to me no further than 15 yards away, why do people do this? There was no one else fishing for miles! I couldn't stand it, plus I wouldn't have any teeth left if I had stayed, so I upped sticks and prepared to leave. 

The gentleman, a kindly looking fellow, asked if I was going and followed with, 'do you mind if I jump into your spot'. 

I thought it was best to leave without saying a word.


Comments

Post a Comment

Most bites...