A week in September - 15th & 16th

15th September

Couldn't wait to get out last night even though the conditions were very un-bass like, but there isn't much in life better than sitting alone on the beach at the dead of night, when the water is as calm as a millpond. When leaving at 7.30 the temperature in the car registered 24.5 degrees.

Walking to my spot I soon realised I was wearing too many layers and it didn't take long for the midges to take full advantage, dive bombing my now sweaty forehead. However, it wasn't long before I was up and running with a very light bomb and large mackerel head. The schoolies soon made their presence known with their snatched runs, but an hour before high I get the screaming run I've been waiting for.

From the off the bass kept low and heavy as it tried its very best to reach the old groyne I was fishing against. In the dark it felt like it had found its way between the slats, but steady pressure bullied the bass out. Every time I thought I had the bass out in the open it found new energy and powered off again. It was about this time I started to mentally check my knots as it was going like a train.

After it's third attempt I managed to turn it towards the shore, but before it could steam off again I beached the bass and dragged it to a safe spot. If I had lost this bass it would have been the classic 'one that got away,' but now it seemed to get smaller before my very eyes. I'm sure the tape measure had shrunk as well! 22.5" to the fork so around 4lb. Not what I'm after but nice to catch all the same.



16th September 

Out again this morning with the lure rod. Conditions were great until the sun broke cover making it a bit too hot for me. Plenty of small bass were in evidence, but they wouldn't commit, until I managed to get one of around a 1lb. This one also gave the impression of something much larger as it stayed deep and ran towards me at a slow steady pace. It's a shame the camera hasn't done its colours justice as it was the most beautiful bronze-backed fish.




Comments

Most bites...