A Week in September - 18th

At last the calm conditions have been replaced by a lovely fizzed up sea due to a fresh North Easterly, and about bloody time, just a shame it's a North East wind. Decided to fish the lunchtime tide, even though the sun was still blasting from a blue sky and I thought I would try a change of tactics as well.

The plan was to fish a roving style with a maximum of 20 minutes at each spot. So I started at the point, and slowly made my way from right to left. The weed wasn't great, giving me roughly 10 minutes between casts as I slowly made my way along the shore. Minimum tackle as usual meant this was all very easy, in fact it felt right, and I wondered why I haven't done this before.

There is a theory that the larger bass tend to hold court in the most favoured positions, so a sit and wait approach may only pick up the smaller bass as they work the shoreline. I thought it was definitely worth a try, especially as I can't seem to get past the smaller bass this year. 

Ironically I arrived at my usual spot, the one I would've been fishing if I hadn't been trying out the roving idea, when I had my first sign of interest, a couple of taps and then a lovely run. The bass once again headed for the old groyne, so I left it for as long as I dared but ended up missing the run. I think in the future I will just take my chances with the groyne and let the run develop. 

Continuing to work my way back to the point I'm eventually hit by a bass that didn't want to hang around, but was quickly subdued as it used up all it's energy on the first run. Once again 21.5" so roughly 4lb.



Comments

Most bites...