A week in September

Start of my week off work booked to coincide with some great tides, and hopefully some lovely strong south-westerlies... well the tides will be ok. Can't believe it, every week I've had off this year the weather has been rubbish for my bass marks and this week, once again, it's glorious.

Sunday 13th September

Decided to start early and have a short lure session at a spot I will most likely be bait fishing for the rest of the week. As expected not a touch, but had fun trying out the Storms version of the Fiish which looks promising for when the bass are around. It really was a lovely night and I left wishing I had some mackerel with me as the conditions did look good for a bite.

Monday 14th September

Went to the harbour this time with the lures in bright sunshine to fish the tide down. Blimey it was a hot one, with no bass or mullet showing as they often do here on this mark. This spot tends to show more fish as the bigger tides build, so I wasn't  surprised as the tide peaks on Saturday this week. 

At one point I thought I could make out a bass in the shallow water following my lure from a distance, and to one side which was a bit unusual, but I wasn't 100%. However, on the very next cast a bass took the Dolive on entry with a great flurry of white water. It was only on for about 2 seconds and then spat the hook. A quiet 'you bastard' left my lips soon followed by something a bit worse when I discovered the hook was as sharp as my wit. Bad angling on my part yet again as I failed to check the hook before starting this session. 

My next session will be tomorrow, but with mackerel and sharp hooks this time.


Comments

Most bites...