A late November trip after bass.

Just found this blog in my drafts and debated if I should post it as I can see why it stayed there.

I'm an out an out bass angler. Other species don't seem to hold the same appeal, but after the rubbish year I've had I just couldn't find the enthusiasm to make the effort today. Conditions were very un-bass like, sunny, calm and a rising pressure as well. Damn it, even the tide was poor, however when I've been out and all the boxes are ticked, I still go home with my tail between my legs.

My year has been ok-ish for numbers, with many caught on lures on the occasions when everything goes right. But this year, either on bait or lures nothing above 4.5lb. Now don't get me wrong, my bass efforts are not normally prolific, but most years I would have a couple of 6lber's under my belt, and if lady luck was on my side maybe one or two a bit bigger.

So with some reluctance I made the effort, and was soon walking along the beach instantly regretting the number of layers I was wearing. The spot I wanted to fish did look good though, and it wasn't long before I was searching out likely spots close and a bit further out. The wind turned off shore and flattened the sea to a calm - not ideal bass conditions, but it was lovely just to sit back and soak up the unseasonably warm conditions.

Well 3.5 hours later I had enough, packed up and slowly made my way across the shingle to my car. As I write this it is now December, and most years I will put in some effort for a winter bass. Let's hope there's still the odd one around to make a late appearance and maybe turn this year around.

Thank you, if you got this far. 

Comments

Most bites...