While waiting for the bass to arrive

I have seen my very first bass of the year! Walking the dogs by the creeks and there it was looking for bread thrown in earlier for the seagulls. Around 2lb, and encouraging to see they have started to arrive. While waiting for the invasion to start (!) I had my yearly trip out to try and catch a decent smooth hound. 

Below is my local fishing forum entry from the trip.

Having read about smooth hounds being caught along the Solent, I thought I would give my yearly trip a go and try and snag one. Its normally just the one trip for me, and so far I've never been there when the hounds have - well, that's my excuse.

Fished over low and about three hours up and never had a touch. Although using mono instead of the usual braid it would have taken the local Ferry to have registered a bite. Enjoyed it though, and I think I may have a couple more stabs before the bass turn up.

One interesting moment though that's worthy of a recall. As I was looking out to the Island I noticed a large flat spot in the now calming sea, thinking I had just missed a fish jump our resident seal popped up with a large flounder in its mouth, and proceeded to juggle it until it went down head first. The seal was over 100yds out, and the flounder/plaice looked easily 2lb, and could have been a lot bigger.


Comments

Most bites...