Another new spot - Part one and two

Just back from a quick trip to a new spot in the harbour where I walk my dogs. The last couple of days I've seen the same three bass work an area at the end section of what is locally known as a lake. Looking down directly from above they range from 2.5lb to maybe 6lb - but could be larger.

Frustratingly, on my walk today they didn't appear so I used the opportunity to discover if I could get down to the waters edge and see if it was fishable. After a bit of huffing and puffing, I managed to make my way down a small embankment and push my way through some bushes and brambles. It was doable although I'm not sure my back will agree. 

Back home, I got everything ready for the optimum time which appears to be four hours after high and when the time arrived off I went ready to give it a go. Felt strange walking to a mark rather than the usual drive and I soon had a freelined mackerel fillet in the right area. Unfortunately nothing to report except what I think was an eel (which I have observed during the summer working amongst the stones and boulders) that took me into a sluice and I had to pull for a break. 

I think they may have moved on with the dropping springs, but I will give it another go tomorrow at silly o'clock. Assuming I can get up.

Part 2

The alarm went at 3.45 this morning and I got up, which was a surprise. Arrived to find the conditions so unlike November it was almost frightening. Sad to say I believe the three bass are no longer venturing up this far due to the receding tides, or maybe they have been caught along their travels as the legal and illegal pressures have been immense this year.

When I packed up, I made a note of a small wall the bass like to glide past so I can estimate their size better. It measured 33" - I may need to review my original estimate somewhat!

Lets hope they return on the next set of building spring tides.

Comments

Most bites...