Its been a while, but the garden looks better

This set of spring tides have been marked on my work calendar for a year due to a notable capture in a spot I like to fish. In fact, I had even gone ahead and booked the week off to take full advantage of the tides such was my anticipation. A visit to my local tackle shop didn't leave me feeling full of hope though, as the look I received while explaining my plan was more of pity rather than expectation.

It didn't matter - I was going and I had a plan! The night before I sorted all my gear out that had been stored in the shed over the winter, and in the morning I was up early and soon had my drink and food sorted for the day. Weather was ok, and I could feel the excitement building inside me.

The journey takes around 20 minutes so it wasn't long before I was parked up and heading off on the walk to my mark. Conditions were looking ok as I eventually reached my destination that when the tide reaches it highest point, the dog walkers are unable to reach.

My rod was already set-up, so it was just the bait, and this trip I was using cuttle, to hook up and I was ready to go. I walked down to the shore line and was just about to make the small adjustment to the length of braid hanging from the top eye to the bait when I realised the handle of the reel wouldn't turn. Expecting to see some braid wrapped around the reel it suddenly dawned on me that I had taken the reel from the shed that had been dunked in the sea last year, and it had now seized up completely.


Gutted is an understatement. I was so annoyed with myself for not checking and despite trying to fish close and use the rod as a pole, which failed, I made the decision to make my way home. I'm rather embarrassed to admit this in print, but I was so pissed off, that rather than drive home and venture back out again, I sulked. In fact I sulked so bad I didn't fish for the rest of the week. 

I know. But the garden is looking better for it.

Comments

Most bites...