Big baits catch big fish...
Small baits catch biggish fish too.
Myself and Rob were being pestered by what we assumed were tiny school bass, repeatedly rattling the baits without managing to hook themselves. After yet another hit and run affair, I remembered a technique I'd used years ago to catch these small bass.
The idea came from an American YouTube catfish video I watched when I was obsessed with learning the best ways to fish circle hooks. There's nothing revolutionary about it. Instead of using a fillet or a head-and-guts bait, you cut a chunk of mackerel and lightly nick the hook diagonally through the back of it. The theory is that it helps prevent the bait spinning in the gape and masking the hook point.
Out went the next bait and, as I explained the change to Rob, I no doubt bored him once again with the story behind it and the YouTube video where I'd picked it up.
A couple of minutes later the line started peeling from the reel.
This time, however, it had no intention of stopping.
As I engaged the freespool and lifted into the fish, I immediately knew this wasn't one of the micro bass that had been harassing us all afternoon. The fish powered off, taking a good fifteen yards of line out to sea, and for a few moments I was connected to something that felt far more substantial.
Out in open water the bass fought hard. As I drew it closer to shore, it made one final show of defiance, the surface erupted into a cauldron of white water as it thrashed in a last-ditch attempt to escape.
A few moments later I beached a beautifully conditioned bass measuring just shy of 21 inches to the fork. We never put her on the scales, but judging by her build I'd estimate she was close to the 4lb mark.
After a quick photograph and a moment's admiration, she kicked strongly from my hands and disappeared back into the sea.
.jpg)

Comments
Post a Comment