'Sometimes you just have to make yourself go' - Mike Ladle

Last night nearly didn't happen either. By the time I was due to leave, I was already thinking about bed. These days, setting off for a fishing trip at the time I'd normally be asleep takes some convincing. What changed my mind was a combination of good tides, a favourable moon, decent weather forecasts and reports of plenty of bass being caught locally.

When I arrived, I was surprised to find a stiff south-westerly blowing and a lot less warmth than expected. I'd also forgotten one of fishing's golden rules - always take more layers than you think you'll need. I started fishing about four and a half hours before high water and soon had my first run. Unfortunately, I was a bit ring-rusty and tightened up too soon, missing the fish.

The next couple of hours were quiet until the wind eased, the temperature lifted and the sea settled. Then I experienced a completely different type of bite. Holding the rod, I could feel a decent bass mouthing the bait for 20 or 30 seconds without committing. Eventually it dropped the bait, leaving me absolutely gutted.

My enthusiasm was reignited. From then until high tide, I had run after run after run. There were clearly loads of small bass in front of me. My baits were too large because I missed plenty of takes, but I still managed to land three bass, all around 2½ to 3lb, with the biggest maybe touching 3lb.


What really stood out was the speed of some of the runs. Twice, fish took line so quickly that my ageing alarm couldn't keep up after the first beep. By around 12.30am I was almost out of bait, so after landing my third bass I packed up. The sea had flattened off completely, a light mist had settled and, despite it being a Friday night with a good tide, I had the whole beach to myself which made the evening even more special

More than anything, the session rekindled my enthusiasm. It reminded me why I love bass fishing and why, sometimes, you just have to make yourself go. Conditions look very good again tonight, and I so want to make contact with a proper one. Whether I can stay awake long enough to fish it remains to be seen, but I'm certainly tempted.

Comments

Most bites...