First cast curse - sort of

I have been eagerly waiting this set of tides following a good start to this month. Couldn't really decide on a venue, and rather bizarrely chose a spot I've never fished before. Arrived feeling expectant, and was soon fishing with my 9ft carp rod, close in as usual, with a large fillet of mackerel.

Sat back, holding the rod with a combination of the rod and reel resting on my raised knee. Tonight was only for a couple of hours so left the rest at home with my finger gently touching the braid for indication. I often wonder why I do this, as the bite (especially when using braid) is transmitted through the blank and the cork handle, but it feels wrong if I don't.

Just eight minutes later, and the line is ripped from my freespool, there was definitely no messing around with this one. I'm getting better at resisting the temptation to engage the spool too early, but it's difficult when your reel is in meltdown! I engage, and the bass is on staying deep and strong. I stand up from my chair, just as the bass takes a vicious line-taking run to my right towards a set of boulders, quickly I cup the spool to prevent her reaching her destination.

Several attempts later, and I'm starting to think I have a decent one on as she is still fighting deep and strong. Closer to the shoreline and although dark, I can see her outline and was amazed at her size - but not in a good way! Once landed she measured just 19" and may have made 3lb - I was expecting at least twice the weight. I have said many times before, bass in open water rarely give a good show of themselves but, just like chub, give them something to aim for and it's a different ball game.

My fluoro snood was roughed up from the rocks showing just how close she came to freedom, and I wonder what size I would now be speculating if she had made good her escape? The next 80 minutes were dead, nothing, and even the crabs were quiet. I did eventually capture another bass of around 2.5lb, and missed a slower run by being once again too eager to engage the freespool.

Out again tonight, and I will update if anything interesting happens.


Comments

Most bites...