I sat there and watched the sea

Tonight I went to the sea.

Not to go fishing, although I took the rod with me. The truth is I went because I needed somewhere to think. Somewhere to sit quietly with my thoughts and face the hurt I've created. I wanted the sea and the night to take over my thoughts for a little while. I wanted the sound of the waves to be louder than the noise in my head.

As evening settled, the waves rolled in gently, pressing against the shoreline before retreating back into the darkness. There was no drama to it, just a steady rhythm that had been happening long before I arrived and will continue long after I'm gone.

The sun slowly dipped below the horizon, leaving a golden glow stretched across the pale blue sea. For a few moments, everything seemed softer. Kinder. The water shimmered with the last of the light and I found myself staring at it, not really thinking about anything at all.


As darkness arrived, the stars began to appear one by one. The world grew quieter. The day loosened its grip and the night took over. No fish came. But then I wasn't expecting them to. I didn't deserve to catch anything anyway.

So I sat there and watched the sea.

For a little while, my mind felt lighter. The weight I've been carrying eased, if only slightly. It didn't offer answers. It didn't tell me I was right or wrong. It just existed, and somehow that was enough. But only for a little while.

Because beneath the calm, the difficult decisions are still waiting for me. They haven't gone away and soon I will have to face them. Soon I will have to choose. And the hardest part is knowing that some decisions don't come with a right answer, only consequences that must be lived with.

As I packed up and prepared to leave, I took one last look at the dark water. The moon reflected faintly on the surface, and the tide continued its endless journey in and out. I arrived looking for escape. What I found was a little peace, not enough to solve anything, but hoping for enough to take the next step.

Comments

Most bites...