Reminiscence of a fool... Part 1

September 6, 2007

The alarm woke me up with a start, just why am I doing this? It really was touch and go, but in the end go won and I forced myself into auto mode and made my way down to the beach.

And I’m so glad I did as it was a beautiful morning. All my earlier thoughts were banished as I looked out across the smooth bulging sea and watched the sun just starting to show what the day held in store. With excitement I set up my carp rod with line stepped up to 12lb due to some recent losses. A small lead weight completed the outfit as I gently swung out a strip of mackerel into the quiet of the dawn.

I sat back and thought of my earlier decision, I so nearly stayed in bed! What a fool, mornings like this are why we do it. Bang, without warning my rod was nearly wrenched from my hand and soon took on a satisfying bend. My last couple of trips I have missed some frustrating bites, and lost some bass but this time I had no problem and was soon admiring a bass of around 2 lb. A quick photo and returned.


[image]


What a start, the bait could only have been in for about 3 mins and was probably still slightly frozen. Everything felt great with the world! Twenty minutes later I had a whole ‘stripped-down’ joey on and was watching a large shoal of mackerel working along the shore. In the quiet of the morning I could hear the ‘fizz’ as they worked the fry on the top, and just like my last report I resisted the urge to have a go with a plug. 

I’m glad I did, as 5 mins later, bang, and I’m into another bass. This one was a bit bigger and in the gathering light I could see every twist and turn as it tried to make its escape. Frustratingly my batteries chose this moment to run out as it was a great specimen of about 3lb, with an amazingly plump stomach.

This signalled the end of the action as the bass had moved on, quickly followed by the ever eager pollack. I kept with the large baits but no more bass action came my way. As I packed up the sun was already hot on my face and the earlier promise of a lovely day had come true.

Comments

Most bites...