Happy 2019

Another year has passed without reaching my dream of a 10lb bass, in fact I didn't even feel I was getting close. But when I look back, its been my best year for numbers, and in particular the high numbers of bass between 5-6lb.

It all started at the beginning of the year when I finally got into lure fishing, and kept it going throughout the summer as I was having success. I know! The largest on lure was around 3lb with plenty below that size. Most were harbour-caught fish from a particular stretch, and at a particular state of the tide. Great fun at night during the hot summer we had.

I do wonder if I should have continued with the method through to early winter, but a succession of large bass to 8.5lb (largest caught by my brother in law) meant I dropped the lures for squid and mackerel and concentrated on the shore. I do recall one daylight session when I had a lure fisherman to my left and another bait fisherman to my right, and I was the only one to catch while I was there, so I do feel slightly justified with the switch-over to bait.

Tactics haven't changed a great deal since last year, although I have dispensed with the weak lead trace and now use 30lb+ line as I've found its a lot less likely to tangle in the wash zone. I have also used squid in the later part of the year a lot more with great results from the 5lb+ bass. It has the added advantage that smaller bass are less likely to run with the squid and the hook outside of their mouths, as they are inclined to do with half a mackerel.

Its also been great to catch three December bass this year up to 5 3/4lb - it does make you wonder if they've always been around?

Looking forward to this year once again, and hope the fishing will continue into January and February. There is one mark I didn't concentrate on nearly enough, especially when looking back at my results as all my largest bass came from that stretch, so I need to make amends. 

I'm also going to continue with the lures this summer. Really excited as I may have found a new spot to try as well which could prove very interesting.

Thank you to my two readers who continue to pop-in, I hope you have a great 2019, and your rod's bend to the fish of your dreams.

Comments

Most bites...