The desire is still burning strong

For anyone who follows this old fool, you will know that I have a burning desire to catch a bass over 10lb from my local beaches. This desire is getting stronger with each passing year, and just possibly I'm starting to feel the goal is getting closer.

I started bass fishing with my Dad over 40 years ago, and it was during this time I caught a bass of just over 4lb that remained my personal best for another 15 years. So what has changed? As is often the case, not a great deal, but if it helps (and this wasn't intending to be a how to post) I have found the following helps:

Location: There are 3 to 4 local venues that I now have confidence in when fishing through those difficult long blank sessions. Once you have found a spot, keep it quiet and fish through every tide and weather combination to build up your knowledge.

Weather: I used to love those still calm nights (and still do) but it's the rough weather, the type when no one wants to be out that can really produce.

Tides: I never took a lot of notice of tides, and went when I had time and thought the conditions were good. Over the years (barring one exception year) I have found myself favouring those classic building big spring tides.

Bait: Big sized bait of what ever you are using. When I think back to the times I fished with my Dad, and how we made one mackerel last between the 2 of us for the whole night, it makes me wonder how we caught anything at all. Perhaps, more importantly, what could we have caught?

Records: Not so much now, but when you start fishing a new spot you need to jot down all the variables in a diary, spread sheet or a blog. Looking back on your records you will realise how easy it is to miss or forgot a pattern that can really help.

This year, once again I have booked my holidays to coincide with the best tides. So I'm off next week and can't wait. Of course it may not happen but if the fishing gods are shinning on me you just never know.

Comments

Most bites...