Reminiscence of a fool... Part 12 (Let them eat steak)

No bass caught unfortunately, but it was an interesting trip...

Let them eat steak

August 17, 2014

Fuelled by the success of my last trip I was back out eager to try again. The wind wasn’t as strong and the conditions if anything had improved slightly. Used the 2 rods again, one at distance and the other close in.

Fished through the previous bite spell without a touch, so as the tide was approaching high and I didn’t fancy being cut-off, I made my way down the beach to a spot that would enable me to get home if I wished to.

I wasn’t settled for long when the sky to my right turned jet black and was heading my way, so I upped sticks again. About 10 minutes into my trek, and directly above my head, came the loudest clap of thunder I've heard for a very long time. I felt that I had literally jumped out of my skin, and when I looked up all I could see was black sky directly above me . And there I was holding two eleven foot carbon conductors in my right hand!

It really was a case of head down and arse up as I reached my destination in double-quick time. A quick cast out of both rods and I sat down as far away from them as possible. I kept thinking of the recent episode of the Jeremy Wade fishing show when the camera man was hit by lightning, but fortunately there was no further thunder or lightening, although it did absolutely pour down. From nowhere, a lady appeared walking her dog and asked ‘have you caught anything?’ After a short chat she left, but then turned around with rain pouring down her face and said, ‘if they don’t eat fish tonight let them eat steak.’

Over high I was plagued by (I assume) small bass, and if I had gone down a hook size I’m sure they would have been the culprits. However, I did miss one good run due to the hook point being masked by the mackerel fillet, annoying as for some reason it felt like it was a good-un.

Later as the wind dropped, I watched a small shoal of bass playing in the waves, at times they were acting more like dolphins as they skimmed the top of the water, most entertaining and something I've never witnessed before. I wanted to stay on longer, but I had run out of bait so I packed away and made the now short walk back to the car.

Now what shall we have for tea?

Comments

Most bites...