Encouraging

As the tide turns to a flood there is a boulder which creates a holding area in lee of the tide that I have always fancied. So out went the mackerel head - and I assume my regular position, standing and holding the rod high to avoid the wisps of weed that can quickly mess with the baits position.



This spot, at this point of the tide has always looked right to me, but after many years of trying I've never received a touch. Wait, there was a knock, and then another - blimey. Now it's thinking of taking the bait and I call feel through the braid the bait slowly being moved, but it seems unsure. That's better, it's starting to slowly run now, so I lower the rod and wait for the baitrunner to do its thing. However, instead of a slow and steady run I feel the bait being dropped. On looking up I notice a decent vortex created from the bass leaving the scene. Bugger.

I waited for its return, but she never came back. Upon reeling in I notice the running link ledger had looped over the main line, meaning it was no longer running. Did this sudden resistance cause the bass to drop the bait? Who knows , but it was bloody frustrating. Later on, I had a schoolie run that was unable to take the size of the bait. Expecting it to be part of a shoal I text Rob to say I'm being pestered by schoolies, but I was a bit presumptuous as I never had another touch for the next two hours.

The wind, under the building, dark rain-laden sky turned surprisingly cold, so I packed up and headed home for a Sunday roast.

Update - Since this blog I have revisited the same spot, and missed the same type of bite at the same state of the tide. I am now convinced its a dogfish having trouble with the size of the mackerel head. At times, frustratingly, dogfish can give a very good impression of a proper bass.

Comments

Most bites...