Fighting Seaweed

Silently crept from the house hoping I didn't disturb anyone, and made my way down to an early low tide mark. The walk was pleasant in the chill of the morning, and I was soon exploring a relatively calm sea in the hope of mackerel or two.

A light mepps spinner failed to garner any interest, so a switch to a surf seeker was made which allowed me to explore further out as well. A short while later, a walk of about 20 yards to my right resulted in a couple of knocks, and then a connection at almost maximum distance. While reeling in a spirited mackerel, I realised that I have at last christened my new rod (its been a shit year,) and wondered if this may signal a change of fortune.

Quickly dispatched, I resumed hoping for more, but it wasn't to be. So I embarked on a trial of different retrieval rates and depths to see if I could find them again. On a slow retrieve, and again at distance, I had a couple of knocks which connected. 'That's where they are,' I think I said out loud, but the fight was disappointing. Expecting a small joey to appear I was surprised to lift-up what looked like a piece of fighting seaweed, but it was in fact a spirited gurnard attached to the lure.


It wasn't until I was back home, and did a bit of research that I discovered this is not uncommon.  No more action followed, and to be honest I wasn't surprised, as I would have been lucky if a low tide shoal of mackerel had come through and paid me a visit. 

The one mackerel caught by the way made a lovely late breakfast.

Comments

Most bites...