Battery recharged

After our recent spell of hot weather, tonight felt chilly, and if I wasn't wrapped up like winter I would say it was almost cold. Holding my rod, I turned my back to the blustery wind, illuminated by the intermittent full moon as the high clouds were briskly moved along. I followed the tide up for just over two hours without a touch, even the crabs were absent.

Sitting down to relieve my back, I positioned my rod in the rest and alarm and sent a text to Rob. A few bleeps indicated the weed, and there was a lot along the shoreline margins, had attached itself to the line, but as I finished the alarm went into meltdown and the rod bucked in the rest. By the time I reacted it was gone. How often does this happen!

Cursing my bad luck, out went another large fillet of mackerel just beyond the weed margin line, and I resumed my earlier position turned against the wind. Roughly five minutes later, a small knock indicated some interest, and then the freespool almost went into meltdown. As soon as I engaged the freespool the fish was on, keeping deep and strong. Most turns the bass would take a small amount of line, but I always felt in control.


Landed and measure to the fork at 24" it was around the 5.5lb mark, but as you can see it was a stocky chap and may have weighed more. Safely returned, out went another fillet, and it wasn't long before I had another bite. Following it long the margins the bite turned into a mass of weed over a metre long. Knowing the bass were out there, this was met with much swearing and cursing.

I finished the session with two more bass. The first was 4.5lb, followed by my last bass of the night of roughly 2.75lb (including a loss that felt at least as big as the first one). This was accompanied by almost non-stop schoolie action until about 12.30am, when the shoals had moved on. 


A great night, the type that doesn't happen very often, and it has certainly recharged my batteries.

Comments

Most bites...