Good numbers, but not the size I was looking for

Last night I visited a spot that I have only fished once before but it shows great promise, plus I've been told over the years it has produced decent bass. Well, what a wonderful night, hardly a breeze and very mild. At around midnight the wind managed to pick-up just enough to move the mist that was trying to form.

Almost from the off I was being pestered by what I think were eels, or possible dogfish. They were a right pain, and on one occasion, following what felt like a heavier eel, I was dragged into the only snag along the entire stretch of coast. I tried the usual varying angles to retrieve my gear, before eventually pulling for a break. I use heavy gear, 40lb braid and 20lb flouro snoods so I wasn't expecting it to be easy, but bloody hell, nothing wanted to give. Eventually the braid snapped near to the point I had wrapped the braid around my arm. I can only assume that was a weak point.

If you are new to braid and are concerned about the best knot to use, I have tried a few variations over the years, until I settled on the good old blood knot despite reading I shouldn't. Maybe it's not as good on lighter breaking strains, but I can recommend it. 

At just past midnight I receive a screaming run from a bass that may have made 2lb followed by another two at 3lb. Not the size I was after, but fun nonetheless.

At around 1.30am I missed two runs before deciding enough was enough. The first one, was my error as I reacted too quickly while talking to Rob on the phone, and the second was from a very small bass having trouble with the mackerel head. I hope.


Comments

Most bites...