He's alive!

'The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated!' Nope, not me but someone I haven't seen for years and let me say how nice it was to catch up again.

Never been one for all this universe malarkey, but recently I've started to think otherwise, or is it just an age thing? So today was my first trip out following a years hiatus - deciding on a day session just to blow the cobwebs away. I arrived to see in the distance someone fishing exactly where I wanted to. Stood there in disbelief for a bit as I had driven along the coast and he was probably the only other person fishing that day, but never mind, it probably doesn't make too much difference anyway.

Just reread that, I think I may have said a few words before coming to that conclusion! However, I was soon was set-up, with a slightly different rig with mackerel as bait, fishing close-in as usual. I have been thinking about this new rig for a while, borrowing an idea from carp fishing and using a stiff link helicopter style.

My theory is we are always told we need to have a free running link for bass (freeline being even better), but when I receive hit and run type bites that fail to hook up I'm convinced part of the reason why I have very few successful re-takes, is because the rig has been compromised losing its hooking potential. The stiff rig, in this case 40lb fluoro, should always fall back in an optimum position for a repeat attempt.

Well that's the theory, but sadly never tested, however I'll keep you updated as it looks right and I think it will aid the hooking potential on any take, not just the re-takes. 

The session was thoroughly enjoyable though as the person fishing further along was someone I've mentioned in this blog before who really transformed my fishing years ago by showing me a mark and encouraging my results, and amazingly chose the same venue, spot and tide for his first proper trip of the year! 

Just after high I was now fishing alone and I eagerly grabbed my sandwich I had been saving as I was starving. Needing a wee, I stepped two paces away, and after completion of said duty I turned to discover a crow had taken full advantage of my momentarily lack in concentration and grabbed my sandwich. Despite chasing the crow waving with one hand it was able to fly away with its prize.


I carried on grumbling like the old man I am before deciding hunger had won the day and packed up heading for home. A good trip though and wonderful to catch up with an old fishing friend.


Comments

  1. What an interesting post. The universe certainly has a lot to answer for. The positives of meeting with an old friend and the sad twist of an afternoon of hunger. Ying yang and all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, the universe is a fickle friend at times. Thank you for the read and your comment. Most appreciated :)

      Delete
    2. Pleasure. 😌

      Delete

Post a Comment

Most bites...